That Certain Summer (1972)

The first US teleplay to deal sympathetically with homosexuality. Divorced San Francisco contractor Doug Salter is looking forward to a summer visit from his fourteen-year-old son Nick, who lives in Los Angeles with his mother Janet. The boy does not know that his father is gay and committed to Gary McClain, his life partner of several years.

Director: Lamont Johnson.
Stars: Hal Holbrook, Martin Sheen, Joe Don Baker, Marlyn Mason, Scott Jacoby, Hope Lange, James McEachin, Clarke Gordon, Jan Shepard, Carolyn Bueno, Myron Natwick, Patti MacLeod.

1973 Golden Globes – Winner Best Movie made for TV.
1973 Director’s Guild of America Award – Winner Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Movies for Television (Lamont Johnson/Jack Terry/G. Warren Smith/Harvey S. Laidman)

DOWNLOAD THIS FILM

Many thanks to leonnos @ avenidalibertad for sending me a copy of this movie.

How would you rate this movie?

Click on a star to rate it!

6 Comments

1. Doctor Go
    December 23, 2018

Thanks for sharing this TV movie!

2. December 25, 2018

Thanks so much for finding this!

3. Ken F
    April 29, 2019

Thanks for posting this! I saw it when I was 10 and remember it vividly. Mostly a very positive look at homosexuality. Vito Russo’s book The Celluloid Closet points out that Holbrook’s line at the end about some people regarding being gay as a disease and that he’d have chosen otherwise if he could was to placate part of the audience who might think that. Other than that, a very normal look at gay life. Can’t wait to re-watch it.

4. November 22, 2019

Wow! I never thought I’d be able to see this. Thank you so much for sharing this film! <3

5. January 3, 2020

Simply a great film that stands the test of time. When I was at Riordan High School in San Francisco I saw them filming in the Japanese Tea Garden in Golden Gate Park back in July of 1972. Scott Jacoby won an Emmy Award as Best Supporting Actor for his role as the son. Hal Holbrook and Hope Lange were also nominated as was the film but unfortunately did not win. So many compromises were made when writing the script that it was a miracle it got on the air at the time. Frank Price an Executive at ABC was a real champion of the production and made sure it got on the air. Thank God.

6. Hannah
    January 25, 2020

Cannot thank you enough for posting this! I’ve been looking for this movie forever, and just gave up on ever seeing it. You’re very kind for sharing it, and even including a download link 🙂 I hope one day the company that owns the rights for this will give it a proper release or allow it to be available on a mainstream streaming service so everyone can watch it!