Song Of The South (1946) [Restored]

Uncle Remus draws upon his tales of Brer Rabbit to help little Johnny deal his confusion over his parents’ separation as well as his new life on the plantation. The tales: The Briar Patch, The Tar Baby and Brer Rabbit’s Laughing place.

Director: Wilfred Jackson & Harve Foster.
Stars: Ruth Warrick, Bobby Driscoll, James Baskett, Luana Patten, Lucile Watson, Hattie McDaniel, Erik Rolf, Glenn Leedy, Mary Field, Anita Brown, Georgie Nokes, Gene Holland, Nick Stewart (voice), Johnny Lee (voice).

1948 Academy Awards – Nominated for an Oscar for Best Music, Original Song (Allie Wrubel/Ray Gilbert).
1948 Academy Awards – Nominated for an Oscar for Best Music, Scoring of a Musical Picture (Daniele Amfitheatrof/Paul J. Smith/Charles Wolcott).
1948 Academy Awards – Honorary Oscar to James Baskett.

DOWNLOAD THIS FILM

Note: All the credit for this gorgeous transfer goes to “Notelu“, many thanks to him for his incredible work on this restoration which I believe took him several years to complete. Recommended to watch in 720p to appreciate details.

How would you rate this movie?

Click on a star to rate it!

7 Comments

1. Michael
    February 4, 2019

wow, restored. I love this movie. Jon you are the best

2. February 4, 2019

I’ve got a blu-ray from a very nice IB Technicolor print made a few years ago. I’ll be interested to compare the two.

3. February 5, 2019

Thank you, Jon. I never saw this film until today. What a treat.

4. George Kolter
    February 11, 2019

Disney has kept this bottled up for years because of the ‘R’ word. last time it was in theaters was in 1986 if you were around back then, now MARY POPPINS is being attacked for the very same reasons as SONG OF THE SOUTH, let the people real people judge it, not the so called political correctness bunch decide..if it’s offensive.

5. Steve
    November 8, 2019

Well, it looks like Disney is continuing not to acknowledge the existence of this movie by not allowing it on their streaming service, Disney plus, as well as other choice edits to classics. Like removing the Stinky Pete blooper scene near the end of Toy Story 2 because of #metoo and the crows from the original Dumbo animated film. These revisionist actions are a disservice to history and stunting future generations from learning from the past. If we want to remove any bad thing that has happened on and behind=the-scenes of films, you might as well remove a huge swath of anything produced from Hollywood then and now.

And this is coming from a millennial which is the usual scapegoat for the PC censorship you find in most clickbait articles. I’m sure there are some within my generation that are overly PC but from a guy who lived in the suburbs when wooden and metal slides and jungle gyms were my recess, number munchers was the primary edutainment computer game in the classroom, watching R-rated movies under the legal age and not losing my mind to the violent video games of Mortal Kombat coming out into the arcades at the time, I find it hard to believe that my generation would turn into the one learning from history about the atrocities of the Nazi’s and degrading that word to in an insult you use for people who disagree with you on the internet. Maybe I’m just the outlier but I’m hoping we can get back to a sense of normalcy and understanding instead of the crazy stuff I keep hearing about every day in entertainment.

Can we get out of this slump of safe, mediocre and rehashes of films that can’t offend anyone that happens to complain on Twitter and start producing actual works of art again that push some boundaries? How many franchises must bomb before you realize who your actual audience really is and not be protected by pop culture journos for cinematic failures who constantly throw fans under the bus to keep their media access? For entertainments sake, they better change their ways soon or they will collapse onto themselves, especially with Disney owning about 33% of the box office at this time.

6. Anonymous
    November 12, 2019

I remember seeing this film years ago & thinking that the white adults were rotten & conceited and the black adults were sincere & loving. Just the impression I had.